Tuesday 27 March 2012

Faerie Solitaire or: How I Stopped Worrying & Learned To Love Card Games (Plus key's up for grabs!)

So to all who don't know, solitaire is a game involving cards, and faeries are whatever the hell they want to be, so it seems. Hopefully you get the picture. Faerie Solitaire however, a game by Subsoap, is unlike either of those things.
At first I was skeptical, in fact expecting a ditsy light-show behind a bland game (I won't lie to you guys, I'm terribly pre-judgmental about anything associated with Tinkerbell) but after Subsoap were being the most generous pair of folk I've came across on Reddit, giving away 3 keys per account to anyone over 48 hours registered on Reddit, I couldn't resist trying the game out!

And I was happily surprised to find what I can only call one of the most polish 'break-time' games I have played. The game doesn't set itself out in as blunt or dull a way as traditional solitaire, and as far as I'm aware loosely uses the rules whilst employing it's own interesting and fun mechanics; namely 'undo' abilities, fire and ice walls and thorns blocking certain cards.
The game also uses RPG styled progression as you play the story, via gathering resources, collecting pets which you can evolve, and developing Faerie-Land with buildings via money gathered after playing levels.
I'm no fan of card games, but the simplistic rules, well-explained tutorial and additional game mechanics had me hooked on this game pretty quickly.

Another great aspect of the game is the way it's displayed. Without trying to overwhelm you the game does a great job of feeding the player a beautiful experience of a long established game format. Below is a screenshot of the titan of gaming, leader in eSports around the world; Microsoft's very own Solitaire. Below that is a screenshot at the start of a level in Faerie Solitaire.
Ladies please, contain your shudders.

Faerie solitaire uses different layouts in its magically-colorful levels.
And I love it.
Faerie Solitaire delivers in a way few card games manage to. With meta-game content, intuitive but fresh gameplay, all wrapped up in fabulous artwork. It's unlike any other game I've ever tried, but I'm damn glad I gave it the chance. Great for 15 minute coffee breaks, and there's few games which do well at filling that spot for me.


For those who are interested, I have 2 steam keys for Faerie Solitaire up for grabs, simply leave a comment about your favorite magical Faerie/Creature/Glitter-Seizure Inducing Monstrosity, or even one you hate (Not naming anyone, but..... Hey, Listen!) and my two favorites will receive the keys.
I eagerly await it's sequel and will be placing a pre-order and soon as my payday arrives!


Pre-Order Faerie Solitaire 2 to access the IN-DEV build on Friday March 30th!

5 comments:

  1. A great game that I'm glad to see finally recieve the critique that it deserved when it came out! I think it was like 3 years ago dude, but Im sure the devs would say better late than never, especially to a positive interview!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I haz a key, plz? (Insert mental cute puppy image here!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure! However you're commenting as anonymous and so I'll need some way of sending you it! Either reply with your steam username or send an e-mail to andrewayregames@live.co.uk and I'll give you one of the two keys!

      Delete
  3. If the Keys aren't too late, I'm down with one! =P Remember me? XD I'm happy with the new blog; still as good as it always was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure thing Isaac, e-mailed you using the blog account, I was shocked when I saw your comment, thanks for coming back after all this time! It's a great support seeing people take such an active part in UUDDLRLRBA, hoping that I can get more people to do this in the upcoming weeks.

      Delete